HEARTY BEEF STEW & SPAETZLE
- 2 large Vidalia onions diced
- 3 celery ribs diced
- 4 medium carrots diced
- 2 large potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 large celery root diced
- 4 tbsp light olive oil (we use Alonso Coratina olive oil)
- 5.5 cups water
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1.5 cups dry red wine reduced by 1/3
- 1 lb. flanken cut into cubes
- 1 lb. stew meat cut into cubes
- 6 Tbsp Gaia Artisanal Coffee Rub
- 1/4 cup flour
1. Sweat diced onions carrots, celery, and celery root in the olive oil allow to caramelize.
2. Season the beef cubes with salt and Coffee Rub allow to rest for about 30 min.-
3. Sear meat cubes in frying pan (preferably cast iron) add to sweated vegetables. -Add tomato paste, water, reduced wine and simmer for one hour.
4. Add diced potatoes, simmer for 30 min.
5. Whisk flour with 1 cup of gravy from the stew. Add to pot, simmer for 30 min. Add salt and dash of rub to taste.
Remover from heat.
Serve over Speatzle (or pasta/rice)
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 Tablespoons margarine - melted (butter for dairy)
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Mix all dry ingredients,
2. Mix all wet ingredients and add them to dry, slowly until the dough is wet and sticky.
3. Then push through a speatzle maker (or collander) over a pot of salted boiling water. Cook for 1-2 min then strain, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with black pepper and set aside.